It’s no surprise that we spend most of our time indoors, up to 90% of our time, however, what many people may not realize, is that indoor air quality is oftentimes worse than the city smog lurking just outside the home or office building. Indoor mold allergens which contribute to poor indoor air quality can trigger a variety of allergy symptoms, including asthma.
While the EPA has not set Threshold Limit Values (TLVs) for airborne mold and mold spore concentrations, sensitive individuals who exhibit respiratory distress or allergy symptoms triggered by mold should strongly consider using one or more of the following:
Ways to Control Indoor Mold Allergens and Contaminants inside the Home:
- Use a high-quality filter for your home’s air system – While not as effective as HEPA filter, high quality home filters like a MERV 11 filter is a cost-effective way to remove a large portion of indoor mold allergens.
- Use a dehumidifier – Moisture contributes to mold growth and spread. Using a whole-house dehumidifier can help reduce mold spore creation and spread if running your air conditioning unit isn’t enough to keep humidity below 50%.
- Use a HEPA filter inside your home – HEPA filters are probably the best way to remove up to 99% of airborne indoor mold allergens from the air your breathe. These units are tested and certified to remove tiny, invisible particulates from the air.
Avoid These for Mold Control
- UV Lights – While UV lights are great for zapping bacteria and viruses, it is not an effective way to take care of indoor mold allergens.
- Ozone Generators – Ozone generators have not proven to decrease the concentration of mold and mold spores inside the home. Ozone is highly reactive and the fumes are toxic, which can put individuals at higher risk if they suffer from respiratory problems like asthma.
- Ionizers – Ionizers don’t come close to the performance of a certified HEPA filter.