“Black mold” is a common nickname for a dark-greenish or black colored mold called Stachybotrys chartarum. Stachybotrys molds, which includes over 50 different species, are prone to populate in materials rich in cellulose (organic materials), which can include things like sheetrock, wall paper, particle board, dust, lint, and clothing.
S. Chartarum (“black mold”), like other molds, flourish where there is excessive moisture, high humidity, leaks, condensation, flooding, and little if any circulation or sunlight. The concern with all Stachybotrys molds is that they produce secondary metabolites called mycotoxins (what renders these molds as especially toxic), which when present, present a very serious health concern. Symptoms can include:
- Respiratory trouble, distress or irritation
- Asthma attacks
- Trouble focusing (“brain fog”)
- Vision problems
- Reproductive issues
- Skin irritation
- Overall lingering feeling of sickness
Serious health issues include hallucinations, shock, seizures, numbness, memory loss or problems. While eliminating your exposure to toxic molds will gradually decrease most symptoms, Mycotoxins can cause permanent neurological damage that will never go away. Although more research still needs to be done, it’s believed that exposure to these molds may also be linked to cancer.
The most important thing to be aware of is that it doesn’t have to be “black mold” to raise concern. There are so many different species of molds that can inflict serious damage to your health, some of which is irreversible. If you suspect any mold issues in your home, do not disturb it and call the experts at Healthy Way to get your free, no-obligation mold inspection and price quote! If needed, we can get toxic mold testing done through one of the certified labs that we use (this upgraded testing we do charge for) 1-888-572-7671